Friday, February 15, 2008

Elections and job update

Awhile back someone asked me to comment on choosing a candidate in a future blog entry, so here goes.

The question was like this "J, if you don't advocate choosing a candidate based on your faith how do you suggest people choose a candidate?"

Answer:
To me this is easy. Common Sense and your values.
Let me explain.

I define Faith as the belief in your God of choice, not as following every letter of the Bible/Quran/Mein Kampf etc as if it's the law. For instance, I see no reason why you can't believe in God and still advocate Gay marriage, Abortion and Stem Cell research. Many people make these relgious issues because of their intepretation of a book. I choose my candidates based on their stance on the issues, not on their religious beliefs or affiliations. I'm not against Ron Paul because of his religion, I'm against him because of his platform.

What really irks me are the cafeteria or grocery cart Chrisitian, meaning those that pick and choose what pieces of their denominations beliefs they follow. While I find it humorous and sad I can actually respect the crazy Opus Dei types a bit more as they follow it to the letter. I personally dont' think that something that applied thousands of years ago really applies now, but many do.

So, my short answer is this. Look at each issue, decide how you feel about it and choose a candidate that most resembles your beliefs. If you can sit there an say that stem cell research, which could save countless lives and improve many many more is bad because the Bible says so then I don't have much more to say because we're so far on opposite sides that any discussion would be fruitless.


Kris had a successful second interview with a local bank yesterday and is expecting an offer today. This is good news, nay Spectacular news. Having her closer to home and closer to me would just make so many things easier.

Cross your fingers!

3 comments:

Kristen Sammons said...

Just so he doesn't have to blog again, I got the job!! :)

Anonymous said...

I think you should had made him blog again.

Conratulations anyway!!

Dad

Anonymous said...

Why are there 22 rolls of TP by that one toilet? What am I missing?