Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Day 2

Well, so far I've posted 3 days in a row, not a bad start.

Today was a good day, we got a huge deal signed, got another new client and one who is almost a definite. It's looking like a good start at work to 2008. We have one 600lb gorilla out there that if it comes through it will make our year in one shot. Spent some time today preparing the projects for the new clients and handled some typical support issues. All in all a very productive day.

I ate very good today. Breakfast was 2 packets of instant oatmeal, lunch was turkey lunchmeat, swiss cheese and a sugar free pudding. Dinner was a BLT, hold the T, and a bowl of soup. The bacon on the BLT wasn't the greatest but it was overall a very good day eating wise. I did not make it to the gym. I blame Kris bailing on me and the blistering cold. My leather seats felt like wood this morning it was so cold, the car temp read 9degrees. I'm really starting to hate winter now that the holidays are over. Global warming my ass.

Played alot of Rock Band tonight, both solo and with Kris. We have a band called The Chubby Cubbies and we're progressing through the game. I know, we're dorks. I don't deny it. Also picked up BioShock tonight. I have high hopes for that game, will let you know.

As some of you know my Granny had a heart attack last week. Luckily they were able to perform surgery and she seems to be doing great now. The whole situation reminds you that the people who always seemed to be there for you won't be there some day, and in some cases some day soon. On the way home tonight I was struck by the fact that although Granny is 95 years old, has lived a very full life, brought joy to countless people and seems very at peace with her life that there's never enough time. It would be easy to say something like "well, we all knew this day would come" or "she's lived a full life", but to me, when you really boil it down, there's is never a way to rationalize to yourself that death is ok or easy to accept. The part of death and illness that I have the hardest time with is the pain that others are in. In nearly every situation there are people that are hurting more than me but it kills me to know that people I care about and love are in that much pain. I just confirmed that the word for this is empathy. I seem to have lots of that, sometimes to the point that I worry myself sick or prevent myself from grieving because I feel so bad about others pain. Other times I'm very able to detach myself, but this is much rarer and is typically when the situation doesn't affect me or my family.

I don't want to be a downer, and I hope that Granny has many more years with us but the heart attack got me thinking. Sometimes I wish I wouldn't think so much and just be glad that she pulled through. Anyway...love you Granny.


Til tomorrow...

2 comments:

Adam M. Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam M. Smith said...

Yo Dwight! (WTF?)

Sorry to hear about your Granny, but glad to hear she's doing better now.

Interesting project you've started (btw...you forgot my beautiful mug amongst your rotating pics). I tossed the idea of a blog around myself a few times, but it always gets put on the back burner.

Do me a favor and don't cut beer out of your diet this time...it'll stop me from feeling guilty when I pressure you in to a foamy pint of Guinness.

After the Illini ass-whooping, looking forward to seeing OSU get trounced on Saturday. :) (Though as a Big Ten fan I hope they don't.)

Anyway...good luck with the blog and the health kick. Talk to you soon. Tell Kris and Lia I said "hi".